Old July 3rd 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default United States Navy markings?

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

"Jack G" wrote:

Why is it that most United States Air Force planes Have "U. S. AIR
FORCE" or "UNITED STATES AIR FORCE" markings but United States Navy
and Marine Airplanes only have "NAVY" or 'MARINES": Is there an
international agreement that covers this or is it just convention /
tradition? Thanks for any replies.

Service choice. The Army, Marines, and Navy are secure enough to
just use their service name, and let the US insignia say
everything else. The USAF, coming off their USAAF inferiority
complex with the 1947 reorganization of the military services and
establishment of DoD and the USAF independent from the Army, have
demonstrated that inferiority complex proudly for more than 50
years.

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder, flying high while thinking
low ...

Sounds like you were rejected by the USAF.

Nope. Never considered the Air Farce. Went Marine vice Army,
gratifying my Marine LtCol step-father and disappointing my Army
LtCol father. [He got over it, eventually {as I made SSgt}, and
pinned my chevrons on when was promoted to that rank.]

Sounds like you knew you didn't qualify for the Air Force.