Old January 21st 04, 05:05 PM
M. H. Greaves

Yes i absolutely agree!
Labour gov't wanted the aircraft ind' to build aircraft that were already
established, but did not want the industry to "go breaching the realms of
science". At least thats what Jenkins says on the video, really labour has
done irreversible damage to britians aircraft industry, we no longer make
them here on our own, they have to be in collaboration with another nation,
look at the tornado for example.
All of the uk's people went to USA after the TSR 2 fiasco.
Thanks for the link
regards, mark.
"Alan Dicey" wrote in message

A good TSR-2 potted history site can be found on Damien Burke's "Thunder
and Lightnings" site:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...2/history.html

I think that TSR-2 was cancelled by an aircraft-industry-hating Labour
government, who really wanted to cancel Concorde, but discovered that
the penalty clauses were too punative. Though they repeatedly denied
it, I'm convinced that Jenkins and Healey were the prime movers. The
spite and malice attending the cancellation still make me angry (jigs
and tooling destroyed, documentation and even photographs burned). This
all points to the political nature of the cancellation. They might as
well have sown the Warton airfield with salt.