Old August 12th 04, 01:49 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message

STRAIGHT-IN APPROACH VFR- Entry into the traffic pattern
by interception of the extended runway centerline (final approach
course) without executing any other portion of the traffic pattern.

Thanks, Steven. Just to be clear, what source are you quoting this from?

It's from the Pilot/Controller Glossary, you'll find it in the back of the
AIM.

Also, I must point out that my approach and landing met this criteria. I
"intercepted the extended runway centerline without executing any other
portion of the traffic pattern." In this case, I chose to intercept the
extended runway centerline at approximately 1/4 mile from the numbers,
while reporting a "Five Mile Final" when I was five miles from doing so.
The issue is: Was this correct? Or, must a pilot literally intercept the
extended center line at a specific distance (which some on this forum seem
to assume that the controller implied when she directed me to "Report 5
miles final")?

No, it was not correct. The controller instructed you to "Report 5 miles
final." To comply with that instruction you must report "five mile final"
when you're five miles out AND ALIGNED WITH THE RUNWAY. You didn't do that.
You reported "5 mile final" when you were 5 miles from the airport and
still offset from the centerline by thirty degrees. You did not comply with
the controller's instruction.