Old December 12th 03, 02:23 AM
Ron Wanttaja

[Responding to two postings....]

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:37:38 -0800, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

My brother over-wintered at Siple Station in Antartica about thirty years
ago. I called him today for his view on this. McMurdo Base is the main US
supply base for most US operations in Antartica. The New Zealand base is
"just around the corner, within walking distance". Most vehicles down there
run on diesel fuel but they would have some gasoline for Ski Doo type
vehicles.

The next question is, does the gasoline for the snow machines have alcohol
in it? Back when I was driving my '46 Willys in North Dakota, the engine
always ran very rough whenever the temperature went below zero. A can of
de-icer into the tank always cleared it up.

I don't know what model of Lycoming Johanson is running, but it's quite
possible he needs 100 octane, and almost a certainty that he needs fuel
*without* alcohol. May not have large stocks of that at McMurdo.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:07:35 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

]"BllFs6" wrote:
]] While 80 gallons or so of fuel may not be much...we must ask a few
]] things....
]
]snip
]
]That must have been SOME headwind to burn an extra 80 gallons. . .

Ah, but *that's* where the meteobureaupolitical environment in Antarctica
comes to play. Here's a quote from an ex-Navy Antarctic C-130 pilot:

"At various times during the season one particular forecaster seemed to
have it out for the crews. He was in the unique position not only of
forecasting the weather but, as the NSF Duty Officer, of being responsible
for ensuring that all the missions scheduled on his watch went out on time.
So it was always suspect when--on his duty days, no matter what the actual
weather was-- all our forecasts were always exactly the weather minimums."
Page 68, _Flying Upside Down_, by Mark Hinebaugh

Johanson may have relied on a forecast that had been put together to
*enable* flight, not to warn pilots of actual conditions.

Ron Wanttaja