Old December 12th 03, 02:30 AM
Rich S.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

Ah, but *that's* where the meteobureaupolitical environment in Antarctica
comes to play. Here's a quote from an ex-Navy Antarctic C-130 pilot:

"At various times during the season one particular forecaster seemed to
have it out for the crews. He was in the unique position not only of
forecasting the weather but, as the NSF Duty Officer, of being responsible
for ensuring that all the missions scheduled on his watch went out on

time.
So it was always suspect when--on his duty days, no matter what the actual
weather was-- all our forecasts were always exactly the weather minimums."
Page 68, _Flying Upside Down_, by Mark Hinebaugh

Johanson may have relied on a forecast that had been put together to
*enable* flight, not to warn pilots of actual conditions.

I have *always* found that forecasts were professional, objective, and
clear. And always followed by the caveat, "VFR flight not recommended in
Western Washington".

Rich S.