Old August 15th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm Antenna Locations on Carbon Fuselage

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 12:10:11 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Good idea.Â* That and the OGN since we have one at Moriarty.Â* Take a
look at THIS
and can anyone say why my transmission is so crappy?Â* Maybe because
the antenna is on the field and I'm quickly above that?

While there is a null above the OGN antenna, it is very small. More likely, the antenna transmissions are shielded by the carbon fiber fuselage of the Stemme so nothing goes down (I saw a recreation of two gliders who hit in an FAI contest; same path, both carbon fiber. Transmission of top guy doesn't go down, bottom guy's transmission block by top guy's fuselage - result, two parachutes). Take a line from the top of the antenna to the side of the carbon tub and that describes the first time the OGN will see you. The single hit close in is probably during a turn. Moving the antenna out to the side of the panel would help.
The number of hits is very small; you can see we get ~7400 hits during a flight, you're under 500.
If you use this, you can have someone click on your OGN target and it gives your received signal strength at the antenna in db, which is handy info:
http://glidertracker.org/#lat=1105585&lon=6428048&z=5
I see your cpu is running at 62C at 12 EDT today; that's pretty warm. you might want to put a fan on it. I use flight aware orange dongle as receiver, and find it doesn't like high temps a bunch.
Nice ranges on the 0E0 receiver, though; out to 130 km at 17000' ( http://ognrange.onglide.com/#0E0,max...0ff,cir cles; ). Pretty good for a transmit signal of two hundredths of a watt!