Old August 16th 19, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Rough outlanding in high corn

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 4:41:17 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 03:35:55 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 1:30:06 PM UTC-7, Jonathon May wrote:
At 16:19 15 August 2019, wrote:
On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 11:48:48 AM UTC-4,

wrote:
Miracle in the cornfield.

Nah, just a straightforward power-less landing. This was the real
"Miracle
in the cornfield":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...nes_Flight_232 \
It will need a big trailer for the retrieve

I've been on that airfield (for the MAKS airshow) and know the area
tolerably well. If they're lucky they might be able to just knock down a
few fences and tow it back.

The main problem would be if there was a stand of forest between.

There's another, bigger, problem: it was a wheels-up landing. The BBC
video clip is, for once, quite informative:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49355236

I'm aware of that.

I'd submit that jacking it up and dropping the gear is a *considerably* smaller problem than clearing a couple of km of forest would be.

There would also be several drains or watercourses to temporarily bridge, the widest being an 8m irrigation channel, before the next person decides to point out something else I've apparently "missed".