Old May 14th 04, 11:37 PM
Bill Daniels

"Michel Talon" wrote in message
Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:
On 14 May 2004 00:25:39 GMT, (JJ Sinclair)
wrote:

Shouldn't we be telling these guys exactly what we think?

Absolutely.

Failing to do so, and later seeing those pilots killed, really
ought to make those instructors reconsider whether they should be
instructing at all.

This sort of people, notoriously dangerous people, are very well
warned by instructors and other fellows that they should stop flying.
They decide themselves that they don't want to hear such advice,
and eventually kill themselves. As long as they are not involved in a
mid air and don't kill other pilots (this is rare), it is their life,
after all. Do you have any consideration for the notion of liberty?
Do you beleive you are obliged to protect people against themselves?

Michel TALON

Yes, for three reasons.

1. Accidents provide justification for more regulation.
2. Accidents increase insurance premiums for all of us.
3. Accidents create bad press which reduces our opportunity to grow the
sport.

I would turn it around and suggest that the individual pilot has an
obligation to protect the soaring community at large from the consequences
of his unsafe actions.

Bill Daniels