Old May 29th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

Default Please ignore Mx

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:55:31 AM UTC-4, Mxsmanic wrote:
Nomen Nescio writes:

I don't know MX, but he seems to be surrounded by fools who expect
blind acceptance of opinions (expressed as fact), as opposed to using
good logic or sound math.

Most people adopt their opinions from others, rather than develop their own
opinions based on facts they research or encounter themselves. It's easier to
simply copy someone else's opinions wholesale, and it requires less
intelligence.

Unfortunately, adopting someone else's opinions makes a person highly
vulnerable to manipulation, and impairs the ability to make sound decisions.
It often goes hand in hand with allowing emotion to control one's behavior,
rather than reason.

A person who copies his opinions cannot defend them, since he has no idea how
they were arrived at. And if those opinions are long-standing, anything that
threatens them can be uncomfortable and destabilizing, such that the person
who holds them may react emotionally and irrationally to any request, implied
or direct, to defend such opinions.

I am good at recognizing opinions that have been copied from those of other
people, and I ask people holding such opinions to defend them. Of course, they
cannot, and so a considerable debate ensues, which they invariably lose.
Ideally, this would incite them to start developing their own opinions, but
few people actually progress in that way.

It's strange I know, but I'm one of those "pilots" who when everything was considered, really never had any serious problems with you. We had our disagreements to be sure, but I've never seen you as this horrible "threat" to Usenet some others have adopted.
In fact, I believe I've commented from time to time that I felt the posts attacking you far outnumbered any posts from you that I personally might have found objectionable.

I think if I had to pinpoint a single thing that I would have advised you to do on a forum where actual pilots are posting, it would have been for you to have adopted a slightly more "question" persona as opposed to a "statement" persona. Most pilots are reasonable. Many have either vast military experience or have expended tremendous amounts of resources in experience and education.
Moore is right. Pilots don't react well to being 'equalized" by people who don't fly.

It's that simple really. You want to make a statement, you have to pay your dues first, THEN make the statement. You want to ASK a question, ASK! Most pilots welcome the opportunity to show the world what they know. On the flip side of that, it helps a LOT if pilots actually know what they are talking about. Some do, some don't, but the fact that you don't fly is still the elephant in the room. There's a right way to disagree with someone and a wrong way to disagree. You might be right, and you might win the battle, but with other pilots watching you and how you're conducting all this "correcting", you probably aren't going to win the war!
Discretion is a virtue. Respect can't be demanded. It has to be earned.
Dudley Henriques