Old February 1st 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

Default Dynamic Soaring

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 10:34:54 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
john firth wrote on 2/1/2021 9:24 AM:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 11:10:41 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
Ran across this link showing a RC glider being flown at 548mph (882km/h)! The video is dizzying to watch and one can barely follow the glider going through 120g turns. Would be cool if we could replicate this in a more survivable way for the pilot and glider. I know it has been done in the past but it hasn't really caught on.

Uli
'AS'

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/dynami... nlid=v2wrsmaf

120 G s! look at the aspect ratio ; take out the 1 and it could be real or a misprint. As for the speed claim,
based on a radar gun measurement, I will wait for the FAI to approve this claim.

John F

My RC model glider friends tell me the wings are single panel, almost solid carbon fiber. It's
not a one-off, either, many similar gliders.

Actually the wing skins are solid carbon with no core material and vary between 2 and 3 mm thick and are thicker at the tip to handle the turbulence.