Old June 8th 04, 03:47 AM
Rick Graves

temp wrote:

I am sure this has been beat to death many times but I have not seen it so
here you go again.

I have just agreed to buy an aircraft, pending the few details that always
crop up. It happens to be a low wing plane, but all my time so far has
been in a C152. The low wing appeals to me as the lack of visiblity in
turns on the Cessna is irritating. The worst plane I ever flew in for vis
was a Taylorcraft, all I could see without ducking was the wing root! The
best was a Piper Tomahawk. However, the low wing planes have a big
obstruction when you wish to look straight down.

I am wondering if there was ever a concensus about which is generally
better. I expect some of the ultralights come out best for overall view,
but their other limitations just won't work for me.

I have owned and flown Piper 140s and 180s. I have also owned a C172 and was
a partner in a C182. For the last 16 years I have owned a 1974 C177B
(Cardinal). The visibility from the Cardinal is extraordinary. No struts to
obscure down or side. Great for photos (especially if you have a photo
window). And because the wing is farther aft on the fuselage than other
Cessnas, the upward visibility is virtually unobstructed. Now for the
bonus: there is probably no airplane short of a cabin class twin that is
easier to get into and out of than a Cardinal. Low to the ground. Big wide
doors. Too bad it doesn't go just a little faster and carry just a little
more weight. Oh well...

Rick Graves - N34759 - 1974 C177B