Old May 12th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
K Baum

Default preparing for commercial oral and practical

On May 11, 4:43 pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
Jim Burns wrote:
Pre flights... what do you check, why do you check it, how do you identify a
discrepancy and how come you're not using a checklist for the preflight?
What happens when you have a larger airplane? Use a checklist. Safety.

This is interesting as I watch a lot of airline pilots do their
preflight and I've NEVER seen one carry a checklist.

Just to clarify this Matt, airline pilots do not use a checklist on a
walk around because they are not required to. You can rest assured
that for evry operation that requires a checklist, it is being used.

Personally, I like the Navy approach to checklists.
Execute the list from memory and then "check" it with the checklist.
That way in an emergency you know the procedures and can do them
instantly and come back when things are more under control and check
what you've done.

Actually, everyone (except maybe GA pilots) does things this way. In
other words, the checklist is not treated as a "To Do" list. To
elaborate further, in an emergency, there are certain "recall Items"
or "Memory Items" that you do from memory, and then procede with the
rest of the checklist. I think your observation here is very
prudent.

I realize the FAA doesn't agree with this, but it makes a lot more sense
to me than fumbling for a checklist when the prop is windmilling and you
are descending at 800 fpm towards hostile terrain.

You hit this nail on the head! I think there are a few to many DARs
who like to express their opinions as facts when it comes to
checklists. Best thing to do is ask up front what the guy likes to
see.

Matt