Old July 15th 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default MSL vs. AGL (Again)

On Jul 15, 9:52*am, Gary wrote:
On Jul 15, 11:45*am, Bill D wrote:

On Jul 14, 8:20*pm, N11rdbird wrote:

The MSL/AGL issue has come before the Caesar Creek Soaring Club Board
once again. Not only has the Club been thrown into turmoil again, this
time it has specifically affected our instructors and how to most
effectively teach our students. I am curious if there are other Clubs
or organizations that teach using AGL.
Rolf Hegele
Member of the Board

Let me guess, those advocating AGL have no XC experience.

Yet another reason to require instructors to have at least minimal XC
experience. *I've been pleased to hear some clubs are requiring their
instructors to have at least a Silver Badge.

Bill Daniels

Bill, not entirely the case....we have excellant instuctors, some with
x-c experience. One is John Lubon JL, a familiar face on the contest
scene.....but sadly many don't. Oddly a number of instructors are
retired professional pilots either in the military and commercial
world.

Gary Adams GA2
CCSC member

It's sometimes the case that career airplane pilots don't take gliders
seriously enough.

If you want to see them sweat bullets, take one who is seeking to add
a -G to their CFI certificate out of gliding range of the home field
and ask, "Exactly how much altitude do we need to get back".
Suddenly, a correctly set altimeter becomes a big deal. I had to
remind one CFI who seemed not to be handling the situation well that
he could listen to AWOS to get a current altimeter setting.

Another situation where a difference in attitude shows up is the
simple question, "How far away would you be willing to fly right
now." This is asked at about 1200' AGL near the pattern IP. They
often indicate a point 4 or 5 miles away. (8-10 mile round trip)
Airplane pilots tend to be far more comfortable gliding away from the
runway at low altitudes than I am. I think this lack of concern leads
to at least some landing accidents.

I haven't done it yet. (I'm thinking about it.) If the candidate
points in a direction where there is a known-safe land-out field, I
may say, "Let's go - show me". Nothing like an unplanned land-out to
bring the altimeter setting (and altitude) issue into sharp focus.