Old November 28th 17, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cost to install a canopy?

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 5:02:04 PM UTC-5, Bret Hess wrote:
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 11:46:06 AM UTC-7, Wheaton wrote:
$6000. $3000 for canopy and $3000 labor. Three canopies over five years different club and private ships. Fitting is the art. Wheaton

I'm not sure there is much art to the fitting.

Look at the description of Don Hammer earlier in this post:
"Day two-
The canopy comes oversize. Placed it on the still in place frame and
adjusted its position while overlapped and taped in place with clear
tape. Ran the cutoff wheel around and used the frame edge as a guide
removing all excess... Removed canopy and put a bead of
resin on the frame."

There is no fine fitting here. I'm removing my old canopy in prep for a replacement and find that the edge is uneven by millimeters, which fillers compensate for. Good adhesives have several thousand psi strength in tension and shear, so the adhesive takes the canopy load, not canopy to frame-lip contact.

Do it yourself brain surgery isn't a big deal either. Just get out the drill and go for it.
I've done about 20 canopies and all require some degree of "fine fitting". Some not much. Some as much as 12 hours just fitting. If the canopy is not properly fitted it won't match the contours of the glider and will look like junk.
UH