Old December 5th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

Default The start of jet operations in US Navy.

Mike Kanze wrote:
While I'm at it: ISTR reading that US and France are the only two

carrier operators using steam catapults with success. If true, is this
due to the size of the carriers or some specific technical challenge
involved?

Not sure, as I am not a snipe, but ship size would be a definite factor.

Steam cats require beaucoup steam. To operate steam cats and all of the
other steam-powered auxiliary equipment - as well as steaming at 30+
knots to assure sufficient wind over the deck and distilling fresh water
for the needs of your equipment and the 5,000+ souls who man your
carrier - you require a bodacious steam generating capability.

Such capacity needs dictate a rather large ship to host all of this
activity. Experience with steam cats also helps greatly. Only the US and
France have current steam cat "corporate knowledge" here.

Anyone with better info please step in and enlighten us.

--
Mike Kanze

Hmmm...... I think you basically are on target. Few Blue water navies
have USN type cash to play with. Once upon a time even Canada & the
Aussies were players in this game. The cost vs. needs lead to them
scraping there forces. The rest seem to have places their eggs in the
VSTOL carrier(Spain, India, Etc.). The knowledge thing can be aqquired.