Old July 1st 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Sad News: Michael Masterov

This tragic news hits me as a bit of shock.

I met Michael in 1993 on a drop zone...I was then the current World
Freestyle Skydiving Champion, who enjoys talking to any skydiver in
the joy of the sport. That's how I met Michael, yaking about
skydiving. He hadn't started flying at that time yet. We stayed in
touch through the years and when he started flying, I enjoyed e-
mailing with him about that, as other skydiving friends were
introducing me to some flying.

Some years ago, Michael took me up in his Tri-Pacer when he had it and
a few times in his Twin Comanche. It was an honor that he let me fly
and land both of them. In the Tri-Pacer, it was the very first time
he let someone else land, and it was the first time he let someone
land his twin.

It was a special privilege being one of his friends and being in his
company along with Highflyer, the duo they were, at the PJY fly-in
last month and looked forward to the next time.

Michael is special and it's wonderful that Journeyman has picked up
his domain and make a tribute page. I have some ideas, in addition to
those already suggested...

-Maybe a blog can be put there so people can write stories about being
with him, flying with him and to put some stories he told in hanger
flying.
-Maybe it's possible to find some of his students to document training
they have had with him to put on the page, and to include Thomas's
post from here (of course with his permission) and/or if Thomas would
like to write more.
-Maybe he has some training materials that he has written and used
with students that can be included on the page.

Back in 1998, when a dear skydiving friend of mine was killed, I
created a tribute page for him with the help of others...perhaps this
page might inspire some ideas.

http://www.koyn.com/JohnSchuman/index.htm

I'm willing to help with the tribute page in the effort to capture and
share with others what an incredible aviator and person he was.
Michael's aviation wisdom grew to proportions beyond what I could
imagine aviation wisdom to even be.

From deep in my heart, condolences to all who knew and loved him.

TK
http://www.koyn.com/CloudDancer/