Old January 25th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliderphud

Default What do you think of the 13.5 Meter Class?

On Jan 24, 8:37*pm, R S wrote:
USA glider pilots are encouraged to give their opinions on the
proposed new 13.5 Meter Class.

Seehttp://sites.google.com/site/13meters/homefor further
information.

RS

Why stop at 13.5 Meter. We need an individual class of glider for
every model ever made. That way all the kids raised in the 70's and
beyond can still feel good about themselves racing. Everyone is a
winner and no one is a loser.

We added the Standard class so we would have cheaper gliders than the
15M. Is there a real difference in price between a 15M and a Standard
today?

We added the 18M class because the glider manufacturers weren't
selling enough 15M and Standard class gliders anymore. That way they
could create an elite class that would drive everyone to buy a new
glider. How many true 15M or Standards have been sold in the last 7
years? Everything has an 18M option and the cost and empty weights
have gone up exponentially.

We will create the 13.5M and 20M class soon.

The IGC has never seen a glider class they won't approve. Soon we
will have 20 or more classes. Let's just skip the trouble and make a
class for everyone so we're all winners.

The only three classes we need are Club, 15M and Open (Unlimited), the
rest are just fluff to make us all feel better about ourselves (if you
don't believe it just ask why the 18M class is called the compensator
class? http://www.cafepress.com/+nice_truck...umper,72983366
Insert 18M glider for Truck on the bumper sticker).

It is time to kill the World class, not replace it with some other
lame class.