Old January 25th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default What do you think of mandatory FLARM at Uvalde?

On Jan 25, 6:28*am, Big Wings wrote:
An interesting argument. *My glider was manufactured in Europe, all of the
instruments, except for the Australian radio are European, the parachute
is European, and of course the Flarm is European although I can change the
run-time options for it to transmit on USA frequencies. * The glider is
registered in Europe and, as far as I know, none of it is FAA approved.
Does that mean that I, a European, cannot fly it in the USA? *I thought
that the FAA recognised aircraft that are regulated by EASA and allowed
them unrestricted access to USA airspace (in terms of airworthiness
regulations).

A World competition with only American gliders?

At 01:35 25 January 2011, Andy wrote:

If you mandate FLARM at Uvalde WGC what will you do about visiting
pilots that bring their own FLARM equipped gliders. *With no FCC
certification they will not be legal for use in USA. *IGC cannot, or
at least should not, mandate an illegal operation.

Andy

Please note that my comments related to FCC certification of FLARM. I
said nothing about FAA approval of anything.

The reason many US pilots are paying far more for a FLARM system than
anyone else in the world is that we have all been assured that "rest
of the world" FLARM is not legal for use in USA. It is not FCC
certified for use in USA and its use in USA is prohibited by the
manufacturer. That has nothing to do with FAA.

My personal opinion is that some pilots will choose to bring their
gliders to WGC and use their non US approved FLARM. My point is that
IGC should not mandate that use since it is not legal.

Again I said nothing about the glider, the instruments, the radio, the
parachute, or anything else except FLARM

Andy