Old April 8th 04, 07:35 PM
2Poor2Fly4Real

Default I want to start my aviation career....at 44 yrs old

(apologies if this shows up in duplicate - I posted earlier but never =
saw this appear)

Greetings!

I obtained my Private Pilot certificate in Jan, 1990, and enjoyed its =
privileges for a couple of years following. (For the rest of the story, =
see sig block) My career has been in IT, specifically in network =
engineering, i.e. Cisco router management. This career provided a =
comfortable living for my family until late January of this year, when =
MCI cut my position (thank you Bernie Ebbers, thank you Scott Sullivan, =
you !$&)%$@ weasels). The IT job market here in Columbus, OH, isn't all =
that great, and for several compelling reasons, we do not wish to =
relocate.

So....

I am wondering what kind of idiot would consider starting an aviation =
career at 44 years of age. I already know I would have to go through =
ground school again, both to learn all the new terminology (Class C =
airspace vs. ARSA) and to re-learn all the important little nuggets of =
knowledge. Yes, the BFR, that too. Then I want to get my IFR and =
Commercial, of course. MAYBE get my CFI, but I'm not sure about that. =
I should probably go for my multi-engine, but geez, that could get =
expensive reeeeaaaaalllly fast - did I mention I'm unemployed?

The question from there is - then what? What kind of demand is there in =
this region for newly-minted Commercial pilots, especially if I don't =
have a multi rating?

All feedback is appreciated!!!

Mike T.
--=20
When I had Money, I could fly.
Then I got Married...then we got a Mortgage...then we had a Munchkin.
She has three Ms, I have none. I'm...
2Poor2Fly4Real

(remove "nospam" from address for direct replies)