Old April 9th 04, 05:24 PM
pacplyer

"2Poor2Fly4Real" wrote in message om...
(apologies if this shows up in duplicate - I posted earlier but never
saw this appear)

Greetings!

I obtained my Private Pilot certificate in Jan, 1990, and enjoyed its
privileges for a couple of years following. (For the rest of the story,
see sig block) My career has been in IT, specifically in network
engineering, i.e. Cisco router management. This career provided a
comfortable living for my family until late January of this year, when
MCI cut my position (thank you Bernie Ebbers, thank you Scott Sullivan,
you !$&)%$@ weasels). The IT job market here in Columbus, OH, isn't all
that great, and for several compelling reasons, we do not wish to
relocate.

So....

I am wondering what kind of idiot would consider starting an aviation
career at 44 years of age. I already know I would have to go through
ground school again, both to learn all the new terminology (Class C
airspace vs. ARSA) and to re-learn all the important little nuggets of
knowledge. Yes, the BFR, that too. Then I want to get my IFR and
Commercial, of course. MAYBE get my CFI, but I'm not sure about that.
I should probably go for my multi-engine, but geez, that could get
expensive reeeeaaaaalllly fast - did I mention I'm unemployed?

The question from there is - then what? What kind of demand is there in
this region for newly-minted Commercial pilots, especially if I don't
have a multi rating?

All feedback is appreciated!!!

Mike T.

Mike here is just one route: I was a poor boy who made it to flying
for a living. If you love flying, I advise you to TELL the wife you
are going to do it for free for a few years. It is do-able no matter
what your age. You will be broke for a good while. Put the wife to
work, the kid at her Mom's and become a dispatcher or something at
your local Flight School. No one's going to hire you as a pilot or
insure you without some time, so you are going to have to mooch for a
while. Ask instructors that you get to know, if you can just quietly
sit in if the paying customer doesn't mind and then ask him. I got
through most of the training this way, even though they had to "resign
me" from the dispatcher job because I was never at the desk. :-) Many
customers became good friends and would let me sit in the back of four
seaters to take notes. This made check rides much easier. Forget
mult-engine stuff, unless, you want to be gone all of the time from
your family. Multi Engine = suitcase. If twins seduce you anyway, as
they did me, then tell the owner of the FBO you will fly co-pilot for
free and do all the dirty work: Coffie, baggage, cargo, mtc, even
emptying the honey-bucket, etc. He'll put you on at minumum wage, but
you'll never see the paycheck (just sit there next to the PIC, watch,
and shut up. If he feels like it, he'll give you a leg.) I flew a
season on a BE-18 this way. If this is too humble for you, then you
are simply not willing to "pay your dues" in aviation and need to find
a rich relative to pay for all this.

Good Luck,

pacplyer

"to thine own self, be true" - Shakespeare