Old September 4th 05, 11:07 PM
AKA gray asphalt

"gregg" wrote in message ...
AKA gray asphalt wrote:

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:36:08 -0400, "Steve S"
wrote:

So if you were born poor, can't read, don't have the skills to purify
water
(which I, a college graduate, don't have. Do you just boil it?) you
should just die.

Boiling works. Keep it on the boil for several minutes, however. (They
say 12, but that might be overkill.)

If you aren't prepared to live, then you must be prepared to die when
you get into trouble. The other week in Greenland, I found that I'd
gone out hiking without a compass. I managed with my wris****ch (and
it digital!). I have very little sympathy with people who grow to
adulthood without some basic survival skills.

And yes, I was born poor, in a poverty that today's welfare cases
can't begin to imagine. I learned to read in school, in a hillbilly
town in New Hampshire. I have absolutely zero sympathy for people who
grow to adulthood without learning to read.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

So what do you attribute your success: because you were lucky
enough to get the help out of a rought childhood or lucky enough
to have the intellilgence and health and every thing else that had
nothing to do with you ... unless you created yourself.

Your question to Dan is amusing because you only allow for luck.

Is it not possible for someone to be unlucky and still work their way out
of poverty through hard work?

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Here's another way to look at it. If someone is succesful and
attrubutes is to being lucky, we all say, well I think we all usually
say "Yeah, he was lucky to have good parents or a mentor or
to be born in the US ... but when someone ends up screwed,
luck had nothing to do with it.