View Single Post
Old July 10th 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Outstanding Soaring Alert Wed Thur - Owens Vly Sierras W Nevada -1000-1250km flight out of Cal City, IYK, Teh

Ok Guys...

I really mean it this time! Lots of Cu based 16,500 to 17,500 (maybe higher). Early trigger times. Dr Jack is showing 830fpm near Cal City mid after thermals to 17,500msl! Best days look to be Wed and Thur 07/12 07/12... leaning more toward Wed.

The big question is how much OD will take over Wed afternoon Owens Valley and north up to Bridgeport, Hilton and Tonopah. Right now, the models show RH 30per cent or less. So, high based TS appear likely in the "hot spots", but hopefully they will be isolated enough. The Reno NWS office is calling it a "Slight Chance" north of Bishop to Minden both Thur and Wed.

Thursday should have a lot more TS in the "golden soaring triangle" ( north of Bishop), so flights are doable but will require more circumnavigating. Lot more TS activity Mojave Desert and Las Vegas area on Thursday. Probably too much OD for really long flight Fri and Sat... otherwise good soaring between cells.

The location of the upper high is optimum for the really good 1000-1250km triangles out of Inyokern Cal City & Tehachapi.

I have a lot of computer prep and work at home...

But, nonetheless... I'm flying out of Cal City on Wed! Either a 750km or 1000km triangle.

Walt Rogers, WX