Old September 30th 04, 12:51 AM
Netgeek

"GeorgeB" wrote in message
.. .

FM has that WONDERFUL capture ratio. The stronger signal completely
takes over the receiver. A weaker signal on AM lets the receiver know
that there are 2 signals, considered a safety necessity AFAIK. It
will take some digital modulation with sophisticated algorithms to
replace the antiquated AM here.

Good point - so AM is not going to go away any time soon.... easy stuff,
just sort out the amplitude of different modulated stuff and the ILS
works...great!

WAAS is better than expected, and could likely get you to ground effect 98%

of the time
,,, and CFIT 2%. I've never seen my WAAS handheld (non-aviation) off
by more than 20 ft in elevation when it had a full view of the sky ...
South Carolina ... and that, I understand, matters.

Well, that "CFIT 2%" is surely a bother...8-).... Never mind the FAA, I
don't think many pilots would be very happy with that spec either!

So, my questions a

What happened to LAAS? (Probably dropped once WAAS was implemented - better
results and all)...
Who's working on the SAAS - if anybody? What are the specs and where are
they?

I keep finding announcements from NASA/FAA that there's going to be an SAT
public "demo" this spring in Virginia. But *what* are they going to demo,
*who* is involved, *details/specs* of the technology decided upon (?), and
how do others with an interest participate? If this is all publicly-funded
and all - and intended to promote the public's use of the proposed SATS
system - where are the specs and how do others participate?

All questions that bug me somewhat - but I'd be happy enough if Jim Weir
just jumps in and puts up his $0.02 worth regarding the comms stuff 8-)...!

Regards,
Bill