Old June 29th 04, 03:29 AM
Brenor Brophy

A complex (land) plane has to have retractable gear AND flaps AND a constant
speed prop. If any one is missing then its not a complex plane. So a 172RG
would NOT be a complex plane because it has a fixed pitch prop.

A fixed gear 182 would be high performance but would NOT be complex because
it doesn't have retractable gear.

Here is the FAR:

Sec. 61.31
:
(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except
as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot
in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing
gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a
seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller),
:
(f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may
act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an
engine of more than 200 horsepower),
:

-Brenor

"R.T." brt5ATexeculink.com wrote in message
Good day all,
After reading some older posts with regards to aircraft purchasing allot

of
discussion seems to come up about Complex and High Performance aircraft.
My question is this? Is a 172 RG classified as a Complex aircraft? and a

182
fixed gear classified as a non-complex High Performance?
For my needs a decent payload is going to be important, so I am

considering
purchasing a 182 or possibly a Cherokee 6 (which would suit me even

better).
Any opinions on either of these aircraft good or bad would be appreciated.
Rob T