Old May 3rd 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Sparrowhawk 300 km in Utah

On May 3, 12:24 pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
I note that a downwind flight of over 300 km from Parowan to just
south of Provo, Utah, by a Sparrowhawk has appeared on OLC.

This is the first decent cross-country flight I've seen using this
ship.

Comments?

Uhh, guess you're not looking too hard :-) Bill Thar has done a
number of very credible flights in the Sparrowhawk of 300km or more.
You can find them on OLC. http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...&pilotId=11117

I also know that a Sparrowhawk holds the US free triangle distance
record at over 500K in the ultralight glider class with Gary Osaba at
the helm.

I've been flying with the Sparrowhawk at Blairstown a fair amount
lately, and I'm blown away at how incredibly good this thing is
considering it weighs less than my old Schwinn (okay not really) and
has less than a 12 meter span (really). I would say it is at least
as good as first generation glass (LS1, ASW-15, etc.) at all of the
speed ranges we typically fly, plus it climbs like crazy. It
simply blows the doors off a PW-5 in all respects.

I have no commercial or other interest in the ship; I just think it's
nice to see someone innovate to this level and wish Windward lots of
success.

Erik Mann
(LS8-18 P3)