Old May 4th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Sparrowhawk 300 km in Utah

On May 3, 7:03 pm, Andy wrote:
On May 3, 10:39 am, Papa3 wrote:

It simply blows the doors off a PW-5 in all respects.

Would you include crash worthiness? I looked at one and sat in it. I
was impressed by how frail the cockpit and canopy seemed to be. Of
course I'm comparing it to my ASW-28 not a hang glider, but do you
really think it's a crash worthy as a PW5?

Andy

Andy,

Setting a pretty low bar there aren't ya :-) ? The couple of times
I've looked at some of the structures of damaged or wrecked PW-5s I
was not overly impressed.

Anyway, I quote the following from the Windward specs: "Fuselage
cockpit cell utilizes four carbon longerons with four transverse
bulkheads in addition to the carbon monocoque shell for crash
protection." Given what I've seen with some of the slick
engineering that went into the ship, I have to believe they took more
than a casual interest in cockpit safety.

P3