Old July 18th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Cambridge 302 Flight Log Date Error? - Memory Wrap Bug

On Jul 18, 5:17*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

Please see my notes below. ***

Thanks,

Paul Remde

"Uncle Fuzzy" wrote in message

On Jul 17, 9:53 pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi John,

There is a strong theory that when a single flight log fails, the cause is
bug in the 302 when the memory gets full and wraps. I am trying to get
Cambridge to fix it. I hope they will.

I'll be documenting the bug and the work-around in my next Cumulus
Soaring,
Inc. newsletter. Basically, as long as you clear the memory every now and
then (once per season would be enough for most glider pilots) there is no
way the bug can bite you. The procedure for clearing the 302's memory is
documented
hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/cai_d...aining_Present...

A friend here in MN recently had a flight log failure that cost him a
state
record. He had the logger set to log every second - which made the
potential for the problem 4 times worse that it would be with a 4 second
logging interval. I have since set the interval to 4 seconds and cleared
the memory in his logger (with his permission of course). When the logging
interval is set to 4 seconds the logger has enough memory for 100 hours..

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"BB" wrote in message

I flew on July 13 producing a normal header
ACAM3H9
HFDTE130708
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT: John H. Cochrane
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:ASW-27B
HFGIDGLIDERID:BB
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:

However, on July 5, I got the dreaded "security fail" -- even though
the security seal (screen 9) shows "good". Yes, rebooted everything,
downloaded over and over again with the cambridge program, tried again
next week -- all to no avail. The 13th downloads normally. If this is
a related bug or others are experiencing the same thng I'd like to
know, especially with nationals only 2 weeks away.

John Cochrane- Hide quoted text -

Whoa! *Is this going to be one of those things I never hear about
(well, I guess not in this case) until something bad happens to me?
Then all I hear is "EVERYBODY knows that ......"
* My 302A is set to 4 seconds, but I've flown it enough that it has
overwritten the first couple months of 2007 flights. *They still show
up when you use the Cambridge utility to transfer files, but they fail
the transfer. *To date, I've never had a problem with a file.
* Is there risk involved in clearing the memory using the utility Paul
linked to? *Call me paranoid, but I've even gone to the extreme of
cutting the TX line from my iPAQ to the 302A to avoid any possibility
of hosing up a flight record. (I had two files strangely segmented
prior to cutting the line.)
TIA

*** I'm sorry to tell you this, but you must have missed when you cut the
PDA transmit line because it would not be possible for the PDA to request
the download from the 302A if the transmit line was not working.
*** Theoretically, the bug should only affect the one file that bridges the
gap when the memory wraps. *In my friend's logger files before and after the
bad flight log pass security checks fine.
*** I highly recommend clearing the memory every spring.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm. Last post went out incomplete. I carry the iPAQ as a receiver
only, to run XCSoar. I do all my downloading and configuring of the
302A with a standard serial cable and a laptop. I'll include the
memory clearing in my January routine from now on! Thanks.