Old July 9th 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default A fair opportunity to compete?

Don Johnstone wrote:
It may well be that the CD opened the gate when he should not have done,

it may well be that some competitors were disadvantaged, however the CD
did open the gate and allow the competition to start and once that
decision was made it should never have been reversed.
JJ is dead right.

Thanks for the support, Don. I can just about hear a couple of our
British friends discussing all this;
I say, the Americans are having a splendid time bashing one another,
aren't they? Yes, seems some chap by the name of Chuck U Farley isn't
quite up to his best form.

We are capable of doing it right. At the Montague contest a similar
situation developed on the 6th day. The task area was covered with low
clouds and rain starting. Sports class launched last behind open and
standard who were flying their national competition. The CD called the
last launcher (me, I was also the sports adviser) and asked how I was
doing? I replied that hadn't found anything yet, just got off tow.
Will try to make my way over to the start cylinder........recommend
you hold the gate opening. A few minutes later I was at cloud base in
the start cylinder and gave the following assessment; Only 1000 feet
between the top of the mountains and the bottom of the clouds. I see
rain between me and the first turn point. I don't think it would be a
fair race, recommend you scrub it. The CD then scrubbed the day. Not
everyone was happy, 2 were above the clouds at 8000 feet and wanted to
play. We had flown 5 days and didn't need that day to make a contest.

This is the kind of interaction that can arrive at the correct
decision while maintaining fairness and safety. I consider this an
example of CD'ing at its best and Nelson Funston (CD), Noelle (CM),
Rex, Ben and Nick Mayes along with the whole crew from Williams
Soaring put on a first rate show.......Good on you!!!
JJ