Old December 27th 16, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Top 20 XC Soaring Sites in the US

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 8:22:34 AM UTC-8, V1 wrote:
Looking for cross-country soaring sites to visit on vacation? Places to retire with top-notch soaring?

I’ve done an analysis based on three years of US OLC (Online Contest) flight data covering 270+ sites, more than 40,000 flights, and in excess of 5 million miles flown. YMMV.

Map is at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F_...PQ&usp=sharing

For more details about the analysis, see the Soaring Club of Houston web page: https://sites.google.com/site/soarin...-soaring-sites

To our European and international pilots (hint, hint) - would be great if someone would create a similar map for Europe, or global. Great publicity for your club or location - within a day of posting this to US SSA’s Facebook page (reposted to many club’s pages), the Google map had over 2000 views.

Frank Allen, SCOH

You missed some flights for Montague/Siskiyou County CA.

75900 points for the 3 years with 50% over 300k in the best year.

We have a 7500'X150' paved runway with a large glider tie down area.

Most flights were out of Siskiyou Co Airport and we got these points without a large contest or encampment. We now have 9 pilots that fly out of this site only about half post on the OLC.

Richard,
www.craggyaero.com