Old February 3rd 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default NK ClearNav Update

Hi Martin,

That is an interesting point. At this time I don't think there are any
plans to provide GPS data out.

However, I recommend simply using the ClearNav for navigation and glide
computations and using the other unit as only a speed-to-fly variometer.

A similar situation happened to me years ago with my Cambridge L-NAV and
GPS-NAV and Pocket PC with Glide Navigator II. I found that I used GN II
for navigation and glide computations and used the L-NAV as a speed-to-fly
variometer only. It was pretty big and bulky for those functions. That is
why I later upgraded to a Cambridge 302. I think the same is true in this
situation. Until NK comes out with their own variometers I think the best
units to use with it are the Cambridge 302 and the LX1600. A Borgelt B500
would also work, but it would have extra features that would not be needed
such as an extra GPS and navigation display.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I received my demo NK ClearNav a few days ago. It is awesome! You can
see the latest reviews he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/nk.htm

That's a most interesting device. It does pretty much what I'd want from a
navigation tool.

There's one fairly important point that's not mentioned by your site or
NK's given that it contains a GPS: What data is available OUT of the
ClearNav during a flight?

I use an SDI C4, which needs the following NMEA sentences: GPRMB, GPRMC,
GPROO and GPWPL. It uses GPRMC to calculate wind speed and direction. The
other three, together with its wind calculation, are used to handle final
glide. I imagine that most other GPS-enabled varios will use the same
information: the LX 160 / 1600 certainly does. This class of vario will
loose a lot of its capability without a GPS data feed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK