Old October 26th 20, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

Default The Apology

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 2:24:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 10:13:29 PM UTC-7, Brian Lott wrote:
Hey, do you guys remember the good old days? You know, when all the controversy seemed to surround somebody named Sean?

The ad could best described as tone deaf. That was obviously not the intent, but it was the result. Male chauvinism is often subtle, and men are not particularly skilled in recognizing its presence. Pointing out chauvinistic behavior is the role of women, and that is what happened here. I say bravo! for them and shame on their detractors.

What is chauvinistic about the ad? If that ad is unacceptable in Soaring magazine then how can they publish any images of humans? If a women solos and there is a post flight photo of a male instructor congratulating her would that be as bad as the ad? Worse? How would anyone but these few women know a photo was offensive before publishing? I look forward to Soaring magazine with blue dots over the heads of people that have made soaring achievements and pixelated fuzziness on the canopies of flying gliders. Maybe not blue dots those are from the 80's and might offend, instead NPC emoticons over everyone's head. NPC emoticons are more with the times and more appropriate for our community.