Old August 25th 03, 02:49 AM
Giz

From 92-96 at least America was "Courage". We were proud of that one.

Giz
"J. McEachen" wrote in message
In 1962 Forrestal was Handbook, VAH-5 was Somerset. Around the boat and
NAS Sanford we were Somerset 6xx, on missions away from the boat on
cruise we were Handbook 6xx. Of course with Air Traffic Control anywhere
we were Navy Jet 42856 (last 5 digits of BuNo.) It was nice, back
stateside there were very few commercial jets then.

I saw Forrestal and Saratoga yesterday, moored at the old Newport
destroyer pier, with barges as spacers. A lot of the masts are gone, and
there are some strange "catwalks" high up on the island that look
neither familiar nor weather-proof. One of Forrestal's anchors is gone
(I think it went to Nimitz or Vinson when the four propellors went to
JFK,) and a lot of black paint shows above the waterline. The overhang
viewed from ahead looks a lot bigger than I remembered. We drove out the
pierhead to a locked but unguarded gate. Hangar bay doors were closed
and I didn't see any large gangways. We drove around to Coddington Point
(where in 7/58 I watched DD's leave one by one after dark to support the
Beirut landings,) with a good view of the fantails - which look quite
different, they seem to be boxed in but I don't know the later overhaul
activity on Sara and Forrestal and what might have been done.

With Midway now offered to San Diego, it will be interesting to see the
final disposition of Forrestal and Saratoga. Knowing the financial
problems of the much smaller Intrepid in NYC, I can't imagine any
private group being able to support the Forrestals as museum ships. As
much as I would love to find my old "Ready 3", squadron office, and
staterooms (on the 02 and 03 levels), and think I could after 40 years,
I won't hold my breath until they become museums. FDR disappeared before
anyone knew she was gone; Coral Sea was a Baltimore nightmare for many
years; Midway may go the museum route. But the Forrestals are huge. I am
glad I saw "59" once more, but it was a sad day for me.
Joel McEachen VAH-5

Mike Kanze wrote:
CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms

calling
themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.