Old July 15th 03, 04:05 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

"Corrie" wrote in message
. com...
Question - what is the difference between Stoddard and mineral
spirits? They smell an awful lot alike. Come to think of it, so does
charcoal-lighter fluid. I think I've seen Stoddard used to to
jump-start a grill behind the hangar once or twice.

According to my docs, stoddard is described as being "similar" to mineral
spirits. My other source says charcoal starter is a micture of kerosene
and mineral spirits. Mineral spirits have more volatiles in it than straight
kerosene.

They're all 'light petroleum distallates'. the difference is in "how much
of what" is in the composite.