Old August 11th 03, 10:48 PM
Ken Sandyeggo

"Russell Duffy" wrote in message ...
Greetings,

I'm expecting to make the first flight of an RV-3 later this month, and am
trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done about the transponder.
Does anyone know for sure? Since the plane is day VFR only, I'm pretty sure
I don't need to have the pitot static system tested.

Lots of people don't have any sort of certification done on experimentals,
but I think something is probably required. It seems like I've seen a
statement that says the manufacturer of the aircraft (that's me) is
responsible for verifying the operation of the transponder. If I call up
ATC from outside their airspace, and ask for a readout, isn't that verifying
the operation.

The minimum that I imagine, is having the transponder bench tested, which is
stupid, since it's a new unit, and was certainly tested at the factory.
More likely, the encoder (also factory new) should be tested with the
transponder on the bench to verify altitude readings, but that doesn't test
my wiring, which is the only real variable. No local avionics shop will come
to the airport to do a field test either.

FWIW, I called AOPA, and they didn't seem to really know. I have a call
into the EAA, and hope to get a reply later today. Naturally, the avionics
shops tell you that you need "the works". What do I really need?

Rusty
Turbo Mazda 13B powered RV-3 (zoom, zoom, zoom)

Rusty,

What you really need is to stop asking questions at this point. I
agree with you that as the manufacturer, we are allowed to verify its
operation as stated in the FARS. I'm constantly in radar coverage and
a quick "whats my readout?" gets you the info you need. The FAR
addicts will jump in here about now and quote dozens of regulations of
why this is not allowed, but I say phhhhhht. Works for me.

Ken J. - Sandy, egg ho