Old January 19th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default revised FAA Order 5190.6B

On Jan 14, 8:30*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"bildan" wrote in message

Another section I found interesting (if I read it correctly as I breezed
through it)...storing cars, lumber, etc. in a hangar is an
"inconsistent" use of land on airport property...

Scott

Now THAT is good news. *My local GA airport has a 5 year waiting list
for $500/Mo T-hangars. *75% of them are full of old cars and boats.
If the hangar lessee's are forced to clear out their junk, it means
more room for airplanes - possibly at a lower price.

This is a real ongoing debate, and on the surface it's easy to be on both
sides of it.

However, the current and growing interpretation seems to be that you can not
have other personal property, in addition to your aircraft, in your
hangar--and that is just plain unreasonable!

Therefore, I have to come down on the side opposing this rule--as well as
opposing the denials of TTF access.

Peter

May of the hangars are leased by people who hate airplanes and would
like the airport closed so they wouldn't have to deal with security
hassles - if they can keep their cheap storage space for old cars.
Meanwhile, hundreds of airplanes sit out in the weather

No doubt an "airplanes only" rule would inconvenience some but the
majority of airplanes owners would benefit from the sudden
availability of hangars.

Maybe a compromise is any hangar containing an airplane could also
house "parts and equipment necessary for it's maintenance".

BTW, I used to know an FBO who had an interesting spin on hangar
rent. The amount of rent you paid depended on how much you flew -
frequent fliers paid much less than those who never flew their
airplanes. The rent to hangar non-flying airplanes escalated until
the "hangar queens" were driven off. His fuel sales were very good
and his service shop was always busy.