Old May 13th 05, 02:50 PM
Peter Clark

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:32:26 -0400, RNR
wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:30:13 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
.61...
I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

May 21

Even if they were operational, how many pilots do you think really
know about this program? And I don't mean among the pilots that read
the aviation newsgroups. My guess is that most of the pilots that are
based at my home airport have absolutely no clue that these lights are
going on line or what they mean. The pilots that read a lot of
aviation related material and keep themselves up to date (such as this
group) will be aware, the rest will think that they're flying over an
amusement park with a light show. I don't mean this in a nasty way
but the education process for programs like this is difficult if one
is not continually and voluntarily continuing the process on their
own.

Even if you don't hang out on newsgroups, read AOPA, AvWeb, etc,
anyone who reads FDC NOTAM 5/3123 would know about the signal, when it
comes online, and what to do in the event you're painted.