Old April 24th 14, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default PowerFlarm v3.40

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:11:32 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Zaon figured it out years ago. My PCAS does not alert on my transponder.

No need to tell me that. I own a ZAON MRX and have used it as the benchmark for side by side testing of Power FLARM mode C alerting. I have reported my results several times on this group.

When the MRX is working it does a very good job of distinguishing between ownship and other transponders. I, and other MRX owners, have had reliability issues though. ZAON gave outstanding customer support and repaired my MRX twice for no change despite the fact it was years out of warranty. There was a time when my MRX did alert to my own transponder. This was caused by 2 factors. First my altitude encoder was unstable with temperature and, second, my transponder had marginal power output.

Since fixing those issues the MRX works as advertised. My Power FLARM portable does not.

I'm tempted to say I wish FLARM supported their customers like ZAON did. However, ZAON is out of business and I hope FLARM does not follow.

Andy