Old February 27th 04, 09:23 PM
Craig

(Chris) wrote in message . com...
Dear All:

I am researching various options for a homebuilt aircraft. I am
located in Thailand, and over here labor is significantly more
obtainable than money, so cost is definitely a primary concern. Build
time can always be compensated for by enlisting help. Based on what I
want, it appears that the plans built Vision is the best option, but I
wanted to get some feedback on the plane itself and also the
difficulty involved in modifying it to fit my requirements.

Chris: You've already got two strikes against you for making the
Vision into what you want. First is that you are planning to use an
engine that is already at least 27 pounds over the maximum weight the
structure was designed for. Not being familiar with this particular
engine, if that weight is just the dry weight of the engine, then you
have to account for the additional weight for cooling and accesories.
Now couple that with a complete redesign of the landing gear and
adding all the necessary items to make it fold and do so reliably and
without causing a big drag penalty. Between the two, you are looking
at adding at least 50 to 100 pounds minimum to the basic aircraft
weight. Now take that increase and drop your useful load by the same
amount and see if the Vision is still within all of your wants. You
will probably find out that you will end up doing an almost complete
redesign of a significant amount of the structure, so much to the
point that you would be better off creating your own design from
scratch.

No matter which route you take, take the time and make the effort to
have all of your design information and calculations checked by
someone that is qualified and knows composite design. It isn't a
pretty picture to find out when it's too late that you misplaced a
decimal point or forgot to account for structural change.

Food for thought.....

Craig C.