Old June 26th 05, 02:42 AM
Juan Jimenez

TBO Advisor recommends the peak EGT method of leaning for the O-470 series
(except O-470-U), but it also warns that "In some engines, such as the
O-470-R, it may not be possible to operate smoothly at peak EGT (when EGT is
measured from a single probe that averages one bank of cylinders), since
mixture maldistribution can cause lean misfire to appear in the leanest
cylinders before peak EGT for the engine-as-a-whole has been reached." It
also says that running at peak EGT also means that detonation protection is
at its lowest.

What does your POH say? Continental does not recommend leaning to peak EGT
at settings above 65% power for normally-aspirated engines.

"Jeffrey" wrote in message
. com...
Greeting to all;

I own a 1964 Cessna 182 with a Continental O-470-R25 engine. This is
equipped with an E.I. 6 pt EGT gauge. Typical cruise power setting is 20"
manifold pressure 2300 RPM. I seem to have a plug fouling issue.

Can someone please give me the proper leaning procedure for both cruise
flight and ground operations (taxing)?

I'd really appreciate some experienced input. Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey