View Single Post
Old November 25th 19, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Phoebus Tow Release Needed

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 2:16:14 PM UTC-6, Bob Youngblood wrote:
Our club recently was gifted a late production Phoebus for our youth program to assist it rebuilding. The ship is like no Phoebus that you have ever seen! Without further detail all I will say is WOW! World class painter was commissioned to do the artwork on the tail.
What we need is some information on the tow release mechanism. The release is a Tost model 33192. This release is for winch towing, in as much as the ring will rotate back at the top of the tow allowing the release to automatically open. We would kike to change this to a locked ring collar model that will allow for aero tow only if possible. This may possibly be the only type available, I am not that cognizant of this release or model.
Does anyone out there know anything about this model or a replacement that would work. Thanks, Bob

Hey Bob,
I had a Phoebus C for a while, the belly release was a regular Tost E-85, but there was an AD/TN relocating the release from the gear to the belly. I believe the retractible gear location was determined to be too far aft for safe winching. Mine had a trim cover plate that allowed the moving ring to back release.
Good luck,
Scott