Old February 21st 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Default Paraglider survives after soaring to 32,000 feet

Here a link to the related discussion on the paraglider forum:

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10608

Interestingly enough the day of the incident was apparently an open
task where you can go wherever you like, the pilot with the longest
flight wins. Looking at the photo posted above I must say that I
wouldn't want to be where some of them went in a glider that makes 250
km/h or more if needed. Yet they choose to go that way (instead of
other directions that had awesome CUs all over the place - photos
posted elsewhere on the OZReport) in something that is limited to 50
km/h or so and can easily collapse in turbulence that we would
probably consider no big deal...

I wonder what they teach these guys about CuNims and risk assesment,
seeing a dozen or so supposedly world class paraglider pilots in a
place like that with the inherent limitations they have when they
could have gone any other way makes you wonder... Enough said,

Markus