Old April 8th 16, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default The up and down sides of rotors relative to ridges

The downwind ridge can generate a wave of its own. What I tried to say
earlier is that this second wave (not to be confused with a secondary
peak off of the first wave) can either reinforce or cancel the upwind
wave with the result being either much stronger downwind of the second
ridge or little to nothing at all. There have been books written on
this. A good example is Mark Palmer's "Practical Wave Flying".

On 4/7/2016 7:39 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
Hoping to clarify, my upwind Ridge A generates the primary. My downwind ridge Ridge B is downwind of Ridge A (and lower in altitude). Secondary wave lift and rotor forms upwind of Ridge B. Oftentimes, ridge lift between the rotor and the ridge.

--
Dan, 5J