Old October 21st 03, 12:03 AM
Chris OCallaghan

Sounds like you've had some bad luck. I suggest the following: post to
the group where you live and what you consider a reasonable trip to
the gliderport (eg, 1 hour each way). Ask that responders email you
directly rather than posting to the news group. My guess is you'll get
some suggestions on both location and individuals. By the way, a good
teacher follows a syllabus and starts and ends each training flight
with some ground school. You might also consider taking a week's
vacation to finish up at a reputable school. I completed my pre solo
training over two weekends at Ridge Soaring in PA way back when. You
don't want to know what I payed!

OC

(Dancebert) wrote in message . com...
Does everbody teach soaring the same way? If so, excuse me while I
step outside and scream.

I've had 24 flights with 4 different instructors at two different
schools. (I switched schools quickly after realizing that there are
some places where humans were not meant to be in August) The
instruction mode all four used I describe is "I'll tell you what to do
but I'm not going to tell you how to do it". After I screw up a few
times, figure out enough of what happened to ask an intelligent
question, they will tell me how to do it. What I want to know is why
the bleep don't they tell me in the first place?

I understand aviation is 100 years old and that instruction techniques
have had more than enough time to be refined, and I have no doubt that
the instruction mode I've encountered is the most successful at
turning the most people into pilots. I also know there are other
modes of learning, like 1) Be told and then do, 2) Be shown and then
do, 3) Do and correct or be corrected (aka Trial and Error), 4) Some
mixture of 1-3. I'm sure there are others, but it's been too long
since I took Psych 101.

So, is learning to fly always in the mode I've encountered? Will it
do any good to convince my instructor that I respond best to other
modes of learning?