Old July 20th 04, 09:28 PM
Cy Galley

At the risk of stating obvious, when were you ever checked for a current
medical? I know several people that fly without. Your biggest problem is
getting insurance without a medical or having the FAA come around after an
accident.
..

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
Todd Pattist wrote in
:

Question: Is the special issuance of a medical certificate under
§67.401 considered a denial of an application for an airman medical
certificate? Response: No. A pilot who has received a special
issuance of a medical certificate may also exercise sport pilot
privileges using a U.S. driver’s license, provided he or she is
medically fit to fly.

That's not the point, the point is that you cannot exercise LSA pilot
privileges with a DL if you were issued a special issuance medical and do
not continue to meet the requirements and have it renewed. Why? Because if
you let it expire it is essentially revoked.

It's also seems pretty clear that allowing a normal medical
to expire or allowing a special issuance medical to expire
is OK and still allows you to fly with a DL:

NO, this is NOT what the rule says.

"The FAA acknowledges that those interested only in
exercising sport pilot privileges may not seek airman
medical certification or may allow their current airman
medical certificate to expire. This is acceptable under
this rule."

But it does NOT say that letting SPECIAL ISSUANCE medicals is acceptable
unde the rule.

In my case, I own a glider (no medical req'd) and a 7AC
Champ that qualifies under the SP rules. I'm probably going
to skip the medical because I now run the risk of losing the
right to fly my Champ if there are medical hassles and I
don't want to or can't afford to jump through the medical
hoops.

I suggest you consult with your AME first. If you are a member of AOPA,
contact their aeromedical dept and get their opinion as well. Until there
is a PUBLISHED interpretation that allows special issuance medical holders
to let them expire and fly LSA-qualified aircraft with their DL's only,

you
run the risk of having the FAA file an enforcement action against you.

Juan