Old August 24th 04, 11:50 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article OrwWc.1538$4o.536@fed1read01,
"Ted Wagner" wrote:

Still I can't imagine "thermaling" at 300 feet unless there was terrain
underneath me I could imagine landing on even less. I hope that goes without
saying!

How about the opposite? I can't see much wrong with thermalling at 300
ft or lower if the ground underneath you is landable and unobstructed
such that you can roll level and land in any direction. Or on one of
those occasions where there is almost no lift about but no strong sink
either.

If conditions were at all boisterous then I wouldn't even consider it --
both because of the risk of a pin upset, and because of the risk of
hitting horrid 500+ fpm sink just as you're facing away from the field
-- but in the late evening when it's calm? Why not?

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-