Old May 22nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

Default Outside reference in IMC

On Wed, 21 May 2008 15:58:07 -0700 (PDT), Tina
wrote:

Statement is still true, isn't it? VFR minima are different in
uncontrolled airspace, and since IMC is pretty much defined as weather
conditions in which VFR may not be flown, yada yada yada. Or maybe
I'm missing something too.

I will confess I can't remember when we were last in uncontrolled
airspace!

Same here, but that's how I remember it!

Even in "G", you still need 1 mile, clear of clouds (day), to be
legal.

You have to open the IFR plan before entering controlled space, but
you can't go less than 1 and C of C, which would be "IMC" in G.

So, the real answer is, you can't fly in IMC "G", but you can fly in
less than "normal" VFR, since "G" has looser requirements.