Old June 23rd 17, 02:04 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cochrane[_3_] View Post
The obvious right answer here is for the FAA to expedite the paperwork to replace Schweitzer hooks with Tost hooks. I'm not an expert, but it would seem that a letter from headquarters to field offices saying, if there is a legal Schweitzer hook in place, accept a 337 to replace it with Tost. Why not write a letter asking for that positive step? Dear FAA. There is a safety problem. There is a solution. Your paperwork is what makes it hard for people to solve the problem. Please fix.

Or am I, of all people, being incredibly naive about FAA regulatory inertia?

John Cochrane
I'm no expert either John and I am trying to write this letter with the purpose of limiting the negative effect it might have on the sport. I try to ignore the flippant, blasé, self serving responses and give thought to some of the more intelligent suggestions. The one thing I am NOT willing to do is let this go. I have learned much in my analysis and have much more to do. You are right, paperwork is often the problem.

The obvious answer is for the SSA and SSF to step forward and take charge of this situation, my contact with them proves that they have no intention of doing so. The British Gliding Association did so long, long ago. While accidents still happen their mandates at least give the tow pilot a fighting chance when he needs it most.

Question: Are you the Economist? If so I read your blog and papers on occasion.

Walt