Old October 3rd 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rick[_2_]

Default Steve Fossett Update

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
es330td writes:

That wreckage looks brutal. It took me a while to figure out that
orange and white painted piece of metal was the trailing underside of
a wing.

What could be the cause? He was presumably a good pilot, and from what I
understand the weather was clear.

"I remember the day he crashed, there were large thunderheads over the peaks
around us," Mono County Undersheriff Ralph Obenberger said, gesturing to the
mountains flanking Mammoth Lakes.

And it doesn't sound like he was all that far off the beaten path:

"Morrow told FOX News he was hiking alone with his dog near his home in
Mammoth Lakes Monday afternoon when he came across what appeared to be three
identification cards bearing Fossett's name and issued by the Federal
Aviation Administration in Illinois."

Although it may be rather morbid speculation, I can agree with the "bear
food" comment - and I have the claw marks to show for it. Ok, not on my own
epidermis, but on a bunch of stuff a bear dragged into the woods after
breaking a window and pulling the stuff out of my car about 30 miles from
Mammoth Lakes. That was about ten years ago.

- Rick