Old April 4th 05, 03:35 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Newps wrote:

What he said, squared. About the only thing I can think of that you can
do
with a DME that you can't with a terminal-certified GPS is use it to fly
an
ILS-DME

No reason you can't use your GPS to fly an ILS/DME.

AIM 1-1-19(f) gives a specific list of situations where you can use a GPS
in lieu of ADF or DME. Determining a fix made up of a LOC course and a DME
reading isn't one of them.

There's no requirement for the DME shack to be in the database.

Well, there's things like:

NOTE-
When using a facility as the active WP, the only acceptable facility is
the DME facility which is charted as the one used to establish the DME fix.
If this facility is not in your airborne database, you are not authorized
to use a facility WP for this operation.

That sure sounds to me like a requirement to have the DME ground station
(the antenna, really, not the shack) in the database.

My GX55 is just such a unit. Terminal/enroute only. You navigate
ILS/DME's using a distance from the outer marker.

Can you give me a specific example?