Old July 2nd 12, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rhubarb[_2_]

Default The "offical" LXNAV V7 thread

I am having difficulties getting to like my V7

There are so many settings its a bit of a jungle.Aand changes only get saved if you remember to power it down using the knob (why?). So, many of my settings changes get lost as I forget, and just kill the power after landing. If you try and save your changes in the air then MC, bugs, ballast, altitude etc get lost so that is a no-no unfortunately

This also means that you cannot pre-setup stuff like ballast on the grid and then power down to save batteries. This is really annoying cos the workload in a glider is so high these days that it is important to get as much stuff out the way as possible

The V2.00 firmware upgrade wiped all my settings so now I am doing it again (doh!). I have no idea what it changed/fixed cos there is no release notice. But it took me a while before it finally sunk in that selecting thermal flaps was now putting the V7 into cruise mode! (fixed after finding the correct config setting eventually)

The power down using the knob takes forever (after you have done it a few times). Firstly you have to hold it down for a few seconds and *then* it wants me to keep pushing for 3 more before shutting down....zzzz

I miss a polar degradation setting. I know I can do it with Bugs but I want it permanent. So, I have selected an inferior glider from the list of polars, which is good enough I suppose, but it realy should be handled better.

I miss a volume setup which changes the vario volume automatically with airspeed. It is 2012 and I am still having to adjust the volume in different phases of the flight!

I want to see the glider battery voltage - in volts eg 12.3 . I have a Redbox, V7, Becker AR6201 and XCSoar onboard all with digital displays and yet I still cant see the voltage without compromising. Either I use 1 of the V7s configurable number fields (which I would rather to use for something else) or keep the Becker in 1 of its 3 modes. V7 - please display the volts in a dedicated field.

I probably just need to tweak the settings some more, but I am having a hard time geting the V7 to behave somewhat like my old 302. (the 302 had its own issues of course)

The averager number seems to be updated on a timer (say every 0.2sec). So it often jumps from value to value, missing some intermediate values. I believe this is wrong. I want to see all intermediate values as well to get a trend feeling. This should work OK since it is a time averaged value and so changes fairly slowly. In contrast, the push/pull diamonds on the right dance up down like a break dancer and really need to be filtered a bit more.

Its a pity the V7 cannot offer a backup navigation facility a bit more advanced then the current "take me home functionality". If my Android PDA gives up the ghost then it would be nice to be able to continue round the task using the V7. I have a Redbox supplying NMEA to the V7. Why cant I put a WP list in the RB and select GOTOs from the V7. Or perhaps the V7 sniffs the declaration. OK, this is a bit more advanced wish. But it would be really great

Could someone post a good Vario and Display setup for the V7 for flying tasks. What do you configure the Needle, number fields, etc for cruise and climb. I know somethings are a matter of taste, but others are must haves. What are your must haves?

phase Cruise Climb
needle netto vario
big number ? average vario
small number altitude altitude